The Reformed Pirate: Scenes from Eight Baroque Operas 2017
The Reformed Pirate: Scenes from Eight Baroque Operas
September 30th through October 1st
A pastiche of eight scenes from baroque operas!
Baroque opera scenes woven together to tell a new – but familiar – tale of love, jealousy, madness, storms, pirates, and a jolly good happy ending!
Characters are drawn from the Beggar’s Opera, with music by baroque masters.
New York City’s show-stopping baritone Curt Olds returns to Anchorage! Joining Curt is an all-star lineup of familiar AFM vocalists and instrumentalists, with narration by KLEF’s Jon Sharpe.
Featuring intriguing scenes from these baroque treasures:
- Purcell, The Fairy Queen (1692)
- John Gay (Samuel Arnold), Polly (1729/1777)
- Handel, Ottone (1723)
- Jean-Philippe Rameau, Platée (1745)
- Marc-Antoine Charpentier, Les fous divertissants (1680)
- Sebastián Durón, Veneno es de Amor la envidia (1711) – a rare, early zarzuela (Spanish baroque operetta)
- Marais, Alcyone (1706)
- Stephen Storace, The Pirates (1786)
This concert will be in a private home on the lower hillside (directions provided after ticket purchase). Space is limited. Purchase early to ensure your seats!
Kate Egan, soprano
Christine Renée Keene, soprano
Curt Olds, baritone
Jon Sharpe, narrator
Laura Koenig, baroque flute
Dawn Lindsay, baroque violin
Linda Ottum, cello
Juliana Osinchuk, harpsichord
The Reformed Pirate: Scenes from Eight Baroque Operas is presented by Anchorage Festival of Music.